Masonic Boom

"Crazy" "Oversensitive" "Feminazi" "Bitch" bloggin' bout pop music, linguistics and mental health issues

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

If My Body's A Club, You're My Disco Ball

So I'm currently hanging out in the office waiting to go and see the Telescopes who are, apparently, promising to play an actual SET of actual SONGS, especially Taste era stuff and the like. I'll believe it when I see it, as the past few times I've seen (even supported) the band, it's been total NOIZE onslaught of sonic terrorism, etc. Which is fun in its own way - more for watching the audience reaction, when they're expecting cute psych stuff.

Today I have mostly been caning Electrik Red - an absolutely fabulous R&B updated take on a girl group. The Lex described them as "britney circa blackout meets prince circa controversy, + extra swearing and actual pro-female sexuality" - imagine the kind of bad girl counterpoint to the Christian feistyness of Destiny's Child.

It's everything I want from my bubblegum pop - beautiful shiny production, quality songwriting, amazonian harmony singing. And what I love best about it, is how it manages to be sexy and sexual - and yet in a totally PRO-WOMAN empowerment sort of way, so refreshing after the recent rush of pneumatic pr0no-stars dolled up as male sex fantasies.

(Not to mention how apt I find whole "skilled lover as DJ of sex" metaphor of "Freaky Freaky" in the light of recent obsessions.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home