Masonic Boom

"Crazy" "Oversensitive" "Feminazi" "Bitch" bloggin' bout pop music, linguistics and mental health issues

Friday, June 05, 2009

A Very Long Post About Fandom, Feminism and Internet Communities

I've been going over this over and over in my head, so perhaps I just need to write it out, just to stop my brain from going back and forth over it like a stuck bit of machinery.

So I left another internet forum over the past few days. (Why is this a big deal? Oh come on, if you have to ask, just hit that little X in the upper left or right hand corner of your browser and go get off the internet and play in the sunshine or have a life or something. I don't have much of a life. I'm stuck in an office for 9 hours a day, and my little window on the outside world that passes for a social life is the internet, and messageboards play a big part in that interaction.)

I've always been quite melodramatic and a bit larger than life on the internet - perhaps in a tiny way it's like being onstage, it's like a version of yourself both more exaggerated/distorted and yet utterly more true to the internal life of the mind. I've become aware that this seems to have a polarising effect on the people around me - it makes some people fiercely devoted to me, hopefully as friends (but unfortunately, sometimes as weird stalkers) - but it equally makes some people loathe me. Them's the breaks.

Anyway, that said, I left the Erol Alkan forum over the past few days.

Obsessive fandom is a funny beast, I'm not sure I entirely understand it, though it's been one of my driving forces for most of my life and I've spent nearly 30 years studying it from inside and out. It's that potent combination of both idolising someone, of admiring them, identifying with them, wanting to make yourself more like the positive aspects of them - but also mixed in with heavy lashings of desire and quasi-romantic... love? (If you can actually love someone you have created in your own mind from bits of public image.) It's complicated.

I was out DJing at 93 Feet East on Tuesday night (DJing is something I used to do quite a bit when I was younger, and had forgotten how much I enjoyed it - I think it's a positive force of this fandom that has made me take it up again) - it was exciting, because I'd had my name and my photo in the paper, which was quite a shock, but immensely flattering. So I rocked home at 1 in the morning, slightly drunk and very hyped up (it's a form of performance in itself) - get online to find that this man, my idol's MySpace profile image has changed to an image of a teenage girl, with her tits out, and Erol's name scrawled across her chest.

My first reaction was one of revulsion - of disgust and disappointment.

I mean, maybe this is projection. One of the reasons that I've avoided getting into dance culture (despite being intrigued and attracted by the music, the textures, the production values) for so long, is that I find the whole culture that goes along with it, especially in the UK, utterly abhorrant - it's a hyper-masculinised world of Lads Magazine cliches - naked birds, loads of flesh, truckloads of drugs. SO not me.

One of the reasons that I respected Erol Alkan in the first place was because he seemed to be the absolute anthesis of all that - that he stood for integrity, for intelligence.

So to log on and see this man I'd admired, using this imagery as part of his promotion? I was furious. It made me want to totally reevaluate my fandom. Because let's face it, my fandom isn't the ordinary "ooh, I quite like this..." sort, it's of the writing about it, telling my friends about it, organising fan meetups and even making crowdsourced fan merchandise kind of obsessive fandom. And I was in the midst of trying to organise a run of custom t-shirts. (This involves a huge amount of work and time and coordination - commissioning the printing, picking up the order, posting it - it's worth it, when you go to a gig and see people wearing your shirts, but let's not pretend it's not a huge effort.)

So, looking at this image - and, more importantly, reading the responses of the lads on this forum - I just felt my heart sink. I left some drunken screeds on the messageboard, sent him an angry tweet, saying I thought he had more integrity than that (not really expecting to ever speak to him again) and cancelled the t-shirt order, refunding the money of everyone who had purchased one.

And then all hell broke loose.

Did I "overreact" as Erol suggested? (Though of course, being Sensitive Indie Male, he "understands" where I'm coming from.) I have poor impulse control, especially when slightly drunk or extremely emotionally triggered. I regret, perhaps, the way I expressed it, but I don't regret my actual actions.

Especially in the light of what happened afterwards - the internet forum started with stupid childish banter, and degenerated into more and more nasty and personal attacks, both on me, and on "Feminazism" in general, until finally Erol himself stepped in and told people to step off. I knew I was going to get shit for what I said - but I had no idea quite how personal it was going to get. (Why am I always shocked by how savage humans behave behind the quasi-anonymity of the internet?) I asked to be banned from the forum - mainly because I know what I'm like, when I get a bee in my bonnet about something, I find it very difficult to walk away from an argument I really believe in. And this argument, in this setting, was a losing battle from the start.

I know that Feminism isn't popular and it isn't fashionable - if anything, it's seen as a little outdated, a little "puritan" perhaps. Feminism has had a lot of bad press over the years, but it's still at the very core of my beliefs. I hold this truth to be self evident - that men and women are equals, that they deserve to be treated equally.

I don't have a problem with sex - for gods sake, anyone who knows me more than casually knows that I'm a lusty beast, and I honestly believe that looking at attractive members of your preferred gender is one of the most pleasurable experiences life has to offer. I don't know how anyone could read any of the 76 pages of the Gurl Thread that I started, and think I was, in any way, anti-sex, or a puritan.

What I have a problem with goes beyond "objectification" - it's the COMMODIFICATION of womens bodies (and it's always womens bodies). The reduction of females to their secondary sexual characteristics, and the use of those disempersoned body parts to sell products - especially when they advertise the personnas, the branding of A MALE artist.

(As I actually asked Erol - would *he* ever appear in promotional photos with a similar theme, half naked, with slogans daubed on his chest? Of course he wouldn't. The joke fell a bit flat, and that's when he started calling the suggestion "violent in design" but it was a genuine question, that pointed to the double standard nature of the whole discussion.)

Because this works on two levels - not just the reduction of women to de-personned objects - but also the reenforcement of the stereotype that THIS is the true role of the female in the music industry. An accessory - a commodity that the male buys through his enhanced social status as a performer. What message does it give to fans? You want The Idol's attention? If you're a man - record a mix, produce a record, come up with some music. If you're a woman? Get your tits out.

To his great credit, Erol did actually email me personally and we talked about it - the simple act of his having a dialogue about it reaffirmed my belief in his integrity.

However, as to the messageboard? I have no interest in returning there.

It's not the first time I've been in a row there - maybe I'm used to a different level of internet discourse about music, raise as I've been on the twin bitch of ILXor and the playful intellectualism of Careless Talk Costs Lives/Plan B. I can understand that people might have different interpretations of music, and argue over there - but that messageboard was the first place I was ever dissed for *thinking* about music on a more than superficial level in the first place.

I knew that whatever I said was going to be misunderstood, misinterpreted, that the double standard would come out again and again, that the innocent flirtations of the Gurl Thread would be used as a stick to beat me with. I've butted my head against the inherent sexism and double standards of that board, practically from day one (for the first month I posted there, because I hung out mainly on the technical production forum, people actually assumed that I was a gay male rather than face the idea that a girl could know anything about DJing, music production, or have an encyclopaedic knowledge of bands and artists.)

I didn't pick my battles wisely. I picked my battle pretty stupidly, and that I regret. But for my beliefs, and the principles behind what I did, I will not apologise.

Labels: , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Ondioline, A/K/A Dina Williams said...

Kate, I saw the pic to which you refer and I have to say that I agree with you 100% on this. What bothers me is the fact that the young woman chose to pose that way, and then posted this pic on MySpace. (She has her own MySpace page and claims she's 18 -- no proof there, though, obviously.) I just find it disturbing that teenagers and young women are so willing to represent themselves this way. Have they been so conditioned that they truly believe their worth is in how they display their bodies? I know I sound like an old lady, and maybe I'm just saying this as the mother of a little girl who'll one day have to deal with this, but really it does confuse and sadden me. It's like we're going backwards rather than forwards.

9:34 pm  
Blogger Masonic Boom said...

I very deliberately didn't talk about the girl (who said she was 17 on the forum) because that's a completely different set of issues. Ultimately, how she chooses to present herself and her body is her business. I mean, I can remember being a teenage girl, and exploring mine own sexuality and my body and my image. But thank god, there was no internet so none of that experimentation got documented anywhere except mine own diary.

I mean, Ariel Levy has lots of interesting things to say about the sexualisation of young women in the post sexual revolution world, and not all of it good.

But this isn't my issue. My issue is that there is a very big difference between a 17 year girl who takes a highly sexualised picture of herself and posts it on the internet - and a 35 year old man who takes that image and puts it up as a representation of *his* brand.

The former, although I might not agree with it, is her self expression, and therefore technically art. The latter is exploitation, as far as I'm concerned.

12:36 am  
Anonymous Faisal said...

i have been living under a rock with my exams and stuff..

I still don't quite get what's going on here because i can't find the post you're talking about.
But iJust wanted to say i'm sorry to hear how you feel and maybe a short break away from the forum will be good for you and maaaayyybeee even you'll concider a new start as masonic boom 2.0 when your heat cools down?

i'm sure Erol or the girl in question didn't mean to cause any harm..

peace&love,
F

1:02 am  
Blogger Masonic Boom said...

No, after talking to Erol, I'm quite convinced that he didn't mean any harm at all - especially since it wasn't even him that posted the photo as his profile pic.

The girl, I've no idea what she was thinking.

However, there were quite a few people on that forum that I feel very much did mean to cause harm on a quite personal level. And that's the reason I left, not Erol or Lana or that stupid picture.

1:08 am  
Blogger Neon Enlightenment said...

Even though I completely agree with your point of view, I didn't deteste the picture. I had read your remark on Twitter and when I saw the picture I must admit that it was difficult to find any artistic quality in it, and those comments were depressing indeed. But I think you might have reacted too strongly to it. I'm not saying you're overreacting when it comes to your ideas, but your words sounded a bit aggressive which can easily be interpreted as a personal attack as well. Nevertheless, I hope you don't feel too bad about those remarks on the forum. I can't say I'm surprised though, like I have said before, forums are just like high school playgrounds. So if you're going to stand out, you'll carry the consequences. Sadly enough you get hit back quite hard for it.
But in the end I do think Erol Alkan reacted very mature and responsible to this whole matter.

- Gisèle from Neon Enlightenment

12:50 pm  
Blogger Dread Pirate Jessica said...

I've never spent time with a sub-culture as deeply consumerist, right-wing, and most of all conservative as the dance music sub-culture. And what's more, it's absolutely unconscious of its conservatism, because it does lots of drugs and obviously that makes it philosophically or culturally new and exciting, right? Right?

This post is therefore the least surprising thing I've ever read. Congratulations on managing to love the sinner and hate the sin; I just got sick of the whole thing and now I miss the music sometimes.

7:13 am  
Blogger Masonic Boom said...

La Spliffe! Oh, I have missed your pithy rebuttals.

Oh, I have - the retrofetishistic 60s Psych community! (Irony of ironies, the music that brought me into contact with Alkan in the first place.)

It's that weird Libertarianism that manages to combine everything negative about little l liberalism (drugs, sexual hedonism, etc.) yet so little of the philosophy behind it.

9:19 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

we've never met MB but for the short time you were around i thoroughly enjoyed reading any of the many posts that popped up at any hour of the day.

obviously you wont be swayed to return, i felt bad at a lot of the stuff i read in that thread.

if our paths cross i'll come say hello. you'll be missed by more than would let be known.

success and no less.

layz x

9:42 pm  
Blogger Masonic Boom said...

The irony being, of course, that I was I drawn back into the forum by several things.

First, the new music posted on the Phantasy site, and of course I was DYING to know if it was Erol and Boys Noize (it was not) but there was only one place where I knew that people would even discuss it

Then, Erol (or his "People") proved that they had a sense of the absurd by subverting traditional gender roles and changing the profile picture to a man in lipstick and a bra. That, in one fell swoop, redeemed the whole thing.

And last... the BTWS internet radio thing. Music is always better when it's shared. And the connection turned out to be so bad, I wouldn't have known anything about what was going on without BenW, MyWorld, Tarot, Paolo and others.

There are some really good people on that forum. It's just a shame when they get shouted down by the jerks.

10:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home