Masonic Boom

"Crazy" "Oversensitive" "Feminazi" "Bitch" bloggin' bout pop music, linguistics and mental health issues

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Why I Hate My Job

Memo from the head of marketing came round today:

The feature focuses on bikini bodies and how XXXXXXXX achieved hers by having life-changing surgery (tummy tuck) at MB's Employer – she looks wonderful doesn’t she. I always find it motivating to read these stories and realize what a difference we all make to our patients confidence.

You know what would give *me* confidence? Living in a world where women are judged by their accomplishments and talents and personalities, not by their appearance, and CERTAINLY not by unrealistic "Bikini Bodies" they have to have dangerous, expensive and pointless surgery in order to attain.

There are days when my job really, really gets to me. Today is one of them. We're not just supposed to do this dirty work, we're supposed to take some kind of twisted pride in it.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Dread Pirate Jessica said...

That sucks. We get similar things sometimes. In fact I may have pissed off our CEO a couple of weeks ago when I told him they were dumb and were sure to make an awful impression on the public so he should drop them. We’ll see. Hopefully I get fired!

Anyways, if I were you I wouldn’t let it make you feel bad, or at least no worse than anything else would. I don’t enjoy blaming the victim, but whether you were working for the company you’re working for or not, women have a lot to answer for in terms of how they judge each other and how they judge themselves, and while there’s definitely a degree of parasitism to companies like yours that exploit a deep-rooted societal insecurity that the female gender is perpetuating (because men’s opinions just aren’t that important, if we’re honest with ourselves; they’re economically redundant, they’ll take what they’re given and they’re a minority anyways), that sort of parasitism is a symptom of the problem, and not a cause.

At least this way you’re being forced to confront some social and sanitary realities most people avoid because they’re too gross to be thought through comfortably. I think the only reasonable thing you can do is keep being awesome.

1:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home