Masonic Boom

"Crazy" "Oversensitive" "Feminazi" "Bitch" bloggin' bout pop music, linguistics and mental health issues

Monday, September 21, 2009

Crafty Beats 5

Well, I thought my DJing days were over, at the end of my residency at Crafternoons. But, according to my download stats, it seemed that even *more* people d/l the sets and listen to them at home than actually turned up to the gigs themselves! Several people started asking when I was doing another, so I decided to give bedroom DJ-ing a try.

For the most part, I found it was actually much *harder* than DJ-ing "live" in a club. Mainly because when you're in a club, you have what you've chucked in a CD wallet or ripped to your hard drive, and that's it. At home, with your entire record library, you can take 20 minutes to decide your next song as you pour through your collection. Oh, and that's the other thing - no time pressure. Live, there's no undo. You have 3 minutes and 20 seconds to find your next song, and then you're stuck with it. There's no CTRL-Z if it doesn't work, like there is with bedroom DJing.

But the upsides are 1) I don't have to worry about what the other DJs are playing/have played. So you'll see a heavy slant towards sugary girlpop in this set, as that's what mostly got played at these events, but I had to avoid playing certain artists because I *knew* that the other ladies would play them. Now I don't have to. 2) Edits - I'd never have attempted any clever sampling or editing in a live set. In a bedroom set, I can mix and match and throw things around and drop Electrik Red samples into Japanese NOIZE bands to my heart's content.

Anyway, enjoy.

Crafty Beats 5

Laurie Spiegel - Patchwork (edit)
Sugababes - Freak Like Me
Britney Spears - Freakshow
The Knife - Silent Shout
Roisin Murphy - Overpowered
Yazoo - Don't Go
Little Boots - Stuck On Repeat
Annie - Greatest Hit
Shimura Curves - Thoughtworm
Ruby - Tiny Meat
Harem - Zennube
Echo & The Bunnymen - The Cutter
Electrik Red - Bed Rest
Burhan Ocal & The Trakya All Stars - Karabiber
Goldfrapp - Little Bird
Siouxsie & The Banshees - Kiss Them For Me
The Future Sound of London - Elysian Feels
The Telescopes - High On Fire
Revolving Paint Dream - (Burn This House) Down To The Ground
Asobi Seksu - Goodbye
Ebony Bones! - The Muzik
Wildbirds & Peacedrums - My Heart (Weapon Family remix)
Boris - Buzz in (Optimo Remix (edit)
Mutyumu - (the title is in Japanese and didn't come through on the formatting)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home