Masonic Boom

"Crazy" "Oversensitive" "Feminazi" "Bitch" bloggin' bout pop music, linguistics and mental health issues

Friday, February 26, 2010

Cow House


n.b. this is not Cow House, it is an abandonned barn nearby, at the top of Krumkill Road, photo by Eduardo Olivera

It was one of those Urban Legends that, when you think about it, you can't even remember where you heard it first. Maybe it was on the school bus, maybe it was your parents whispering to each other in the front seat of the car, maybe it was a real estate agent trying to explain away an eyesore on the neighbourhood.

As you drove down New Scotland Avenue towards Voorheesville, perhaps to pick up some groceries at Stonewells (the last of the independent supermarkets that hadn't been bought out by Grand Union or Price Chopper just yet) or taking the shortcut down the back way, past the abandonned country club, you'd pass Cow House.

It had clearly once been a beautiful house, one of those huge, sprawling farmhouses you only really get in New England and Upstate New York, dating back to the early 19th Century, when white clapboard Colonial started to give way to the gingerbread fancies of American Victorian. Two or three stories with bay windows and a porch wrapped all the way around the outside, of the sort you could see old grandmothers sitting on in rocking chairs in the summer heat, knitting and telling stories.

Except the paint had long since peeled to a weathered grey and the only occupants that dared shelter on the porch were black and white Friesian cows, chewing their cud complacently out of the heat. There was an orchard by the house, with ancient, grizzled apple trees that had long gone to seed, but no one dared pick the apples, and they fell and rotted among the unmowed grass.

It was such a sad story, the gossip went. 50 years earlier, a farmer had lived there, the last of his line. When his wife died, he shut himself up in the house and became a recluse. Here the story gets muddied - or maybe it's my memory. Some kids tried to break into the house, and he chased them with a shotgun, and shot one of them in the leg. Or perhaps it was someone from Social Services who came to check up on him, on account of the state of the house and land, and he chased them off with a shotgun. (I wonder, these days, why he wasn't sent to jail for doing such things - but then again, this was America with its right to bear arms, and, unlike the UK, if you find an intruder in your house, you're within your rights to blast them to Kingdom Come. Don't quote me on that, I'm a storyteller, not a lawyer.)

Whatever, the story, it was somehow both terrifying and sad. There were actually quite a few abandonned houses in the area (and even an abandonned schoolhouse where I used to hide out when I ran away from home) but only this one had rumours about it. When we first moved in, in the early 80s, it looked conceivably still inhabited. But as the porch crumbled and the roofs fell in, I wondered if the shotgun-toting, lonely old man had died, or if he ever existed.

When I was a teenager, I didn't understand the impetus that would lead someone to such a life. Lock yourself away from the world, bar the windows, let everything go to rack and ruin around you. But lately, it's begun to look more and more appealing. Why bother to interact with a world that has abandonned or disappointed you on every level? As you feel yourself slip away, social ties growing ever looser, you wonder what it is to stop you. That revulsion that people feel towards old cat ladies and old crazy guys who shout at traffic - it's that shuddering sense of "There but for the grace of god..." How easy it is to fall between the cracks. How many missed calls and unanswered emails before you slip away for good. And as you get older, those connections get harder to replace. Until one day there are none.

I used a slow afternoon at work to look for the house on Google StreetView, up and down New Scotland Road, trying to remember how the back roads all connected up. The house was gone, not a trace that it had ever stood there - obliterated so completely that at first I wasn't even sure I had the right corner. The house had been bulldozed, the orchard had either been chopped down or simply fallen down through old age. Cow House was utterly vanished.

I deleted my MySpace today. I'd been threatening to do it for weeks and not quite had the nerve, as there were still friends for whom that was my only way of contacting them. But then again, if a social networking site is the only way you have of contacting someone, how close a friend are they, really? A few years' worth of blogging gone in an instant. Is it a loss? I don't know. Perhaps those years are better off buried and forgotten.

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Alexa said...

Well I am an American and I have taken a class on law, so I can indeed confirm that it is legal to shoot someone for trespassing. (And that apparently I can't spell 'trespassing'. I swear they made only one of the S's double just to confuse me.)

I have a reclusive neighbor who I did some garden work for, it was all arranged through HER next door neighbor because she wouldn't talk to me. I had another neighbor who passed away a few years ago who was the same way.

I recently read some Durkheim for a class and I latched on to the idea that man is a social being essentially. I think we as a species have a bizarre need to reach out to even people who reject contact, and I think it's because somewhere deep inside, fundamentally community is important for our survival (both literally and in terms of avoiding utter emotional shutdown). Of course you also have Sartre saying "l'enfer, c'est les autres" and there is a weird sort of sacrifice you have to make no matter which life (surrounded by people or secluded) you choose. But I keep coming back to that - no matter how much these two neighbors (who were both elderly women, and you get the sense that they had probably been house-wives and that they had no children and no family left) were abrasive toward anyone who tried to be friendly or a good neighbor, people still wanted to reach out. It's one of those weird things about human nature. (It's not the question you're asking in this post of course but I think it's a related one.)

5:20 pm  
Anonymous Joanne said...

Yes, the Cow House disappeared some years back, I think it actually collapsed one bad winter and was cleared away.

2:05 pm  
Blogger Masonic Boom said...

Ah! That would make sense. Well, I'm glad you remember Cow House and you know what happened to it.

2:14 pm  
Anonymous Joanne said...

I miss it though, I wish I had taken some photos of it. Remind me to take pictures of things when I think of it rather than "oh I come back later and do it" cause later never seems to happen

3:51 pm  
Blogger Masonic Boom said...

The one nice thing about being an artist is that you can never forget to take pictures of things. You carry the image in your head and you can draw it.

It's weird, looking down the Google StreetView of Krumkill Rd how many new, massive houses they've built along it. When I remember, back in the 80s, how many beautiful crumbling houses were just left to rack and ruin and fall down. That beautiful huge house at the bottom of Schoolhouse Lane. The Victorian gingerbread house just after the stables. The schoolhouse at the top of the hill, that burned down when I was a teenager. Another house, almost totally gone except for the chimney and the foundations, in the middle of an overgrown field down by the Normanskill.

If someone had looked after those houses, they wouldn't need to build the ugly modern ones that are cluttering up the view. Apparently you can no longer see the Empire State Plaza from the Red Barn at the top of the hill, where we used to watch the fireworks from.

6:09 pm  
Anonymous Joanne said...

The thing is, these ugly new houses are going to crumble at a MUCH faster rate than the old ones, due to them being made out of ticky tacky(and they all look the same).
I've watched this show called "After People". Its all about what would happen to the world if humans suddenly vanished. One of the last large edifices to go apparently would be the Colosseum. It's that well built!. The only reason its looks a mess now is because people were stealing blocks. It would take a major earthquake to take it down for good.

2:38 pm  
Blogger Masonic Boom said...

"After People" - wow, that sounds like an interesting show! I saw something similar a few years ago, and it featured footage of Chernobyl - and it was weird to see this major city in the Soviet Union that had been completely abandonned for 30 years, trees growing through the middle of parking lots and the like. All this luxuriant growth, which hid the fact that the ground was still completely contaminated and poisonous to humans. I must admit that there's something quite appealing about the idea of a world after humans.

Things are no longer built to last - planned obsolescence applies even to houses now. Why make one that will last for hundreds of years, if they can just sell you a new one in 30 years.

Do you know the song Roscoe by Midlake? You'd love the BTWS remix of it, Jo, all the backwards guitars and stuff. But it talks about these ideas of habitations and permanence and connection to the past, building for a future.

3:12 pm  
Blogger Mark G said...

We went back to Catherington one time, to the village where I once lived. The forest was still there, the road to the local shops was much shorter than I remembered, but the house we lived in was nowhere to be seen.

Anyroad, while we're on miscellaneous recommendations, did you see Juliana Hadfield's autobiog (I got it cheap in the Borders chuckout), there's loads of scenarios in there you'd recognise, put it that way...

(ps, it finally happened, my work filter has caught up with ILX)

10:25 am  
Blogger Masonic Boom said...

Damn, just when I start posting to ILX again, you're gone. :-( Not fair.

11:16 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.newscotlandhistoricalassociation.org/slideshow.html

3:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home