Masonic Boom

"Crazy" "Oversensitive" "Feminazi" "Bitch" bloggin' bout pop music, linguistics and mental health issues

Thursday, July 06, 2006

It's Not The Pain, It's The Boredom


The ennui, the heat, the heat, the ennui... why does life have to be so unendingly bloody TEDIOUS?

OK, this was not helped by watching Last Days last night. What an unbelievably boring, tedious, endless film where NOTHING HAPPENS. I was too hot to even fall asleep during it.

I don't understand the adulation for this film. Boring drugged up past it rock star stumbles around, takes drugs, cross dresses, mumbles while he dodges his friends, makes tedious experimental NOIZE music, then gets so bored he shoots himself. Dude, why couldn't you have done that about an hour earlier and spared us the rest of the film? It's a bit like Performance, but without the sex, gangsters, intrigue, heady 60s atmosphere, Anita Pallenberg, or, indeed, any charismastic performers at all.

I suppose part of it is the reverence with which people of A Certain Generation (er, mine, I guess) hold Kurt Cobain. I just don't get it. I thought Nirvana were kind of boring. This impression certainly isn't helped by the unbelievably pretentious to the point of silly "original" music that the Kurt Figure plays throughout the film. I'd shoot myself in the head never to have to hear that shit again.

The scenery was nice. The actor that played the Kurt Figure was pretty (though, funnily enough, not actually as pretty as the real thing). But otherwise, the £6 would have been better spent on another bottle of Excelsior wine.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mistress La Spliffe said...

Change a few character action verbs and that's exactly how I felt about Brokeback Mountain.

12:21 pm  
Blogger The Outer Church said...

I avoided this film. It just seemed like (another) one of Gus van Sant's widescreen wank fantasies.

4:25 am  
Blogger Masonic Boom said...

I dunno what made me get it. Probably because the bloke on the cover was wearing the same sunglasses as me. Yes, I am that shallow.

10:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home