Masonic Boom

"Crazy" "Oversensitive" "Feminazi" "Bitch" bloggin' bout pop music, linguistics and mental health issues

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Film Deaf

This morning I had the unusual experience of engaging in a discussion about a film I actually had more than a tiny amount of knowledge about. (Sunshine - a DVD I bought almost entirely for its Dr Brian Cox science commentary.) It's strange. I like to think of myself as a vaguely culturally aware person - I definitely keep up with contemporary music, and try to keep at least aware of current trends and movements in visual arts and literature. But film?

I have a terrible confession to make. I am film deaf.

It's not that I don't enjoy films. I certainly do enjoy watching and even discussing it with whatever person who has made me watch it. It's more that I don't have much discernment when it comes to films. I don't really know enough about the artform to discuss genres or really assess them on a quality level beyond "I was engaged by that" or "this is boring, I'm going to read a book."

I took a course in basic film at art school, as it was a core requirement, but I can't say I learned anything. (Apart from reaffirming my teenage goth love of German Expressionism.) I have been taught about auteur theory and "Mise en scène" (whatever that is) but the whole concept of film as craft just slides off my brain. It's not like music, where I can be aware of the production techniques used to generate a sound, and still be caught up in the emotion of the piece. Movies are just something that wash over me without my ever really knowing how it was done.

And I certainly don't really know enough about films to actively seek them out. Despite living practically next door to a decent cinema, I think I've been there once in the past two years. I don't have a video club membership and it's very rare that I'll buy DVD unless I've seen the film before - these days, since I don't have a telly, that's because someone has shown it to me.

I just didn't grow up in a cinema-going family. Hell, we didn't even have a colour television until I was in my teens. Many of my childhood memories of familial television watching involved gathering around a tiny 70s B&W set the size of a toaster to watch Dr Who on Saturday nights, and that was about it. My Dad would occasionally take us to sci fi blockbusters - we saw Star Wars on our first visit to the States, and watched The Black Hole in an empty movie theatre on our first American Thanksgiving - but I was aware that my mother had never been *allowed* to watch films as a child. Her grandmother disapproved of films and would especially not allow her to watch anything by Disney, for fear of a pernicious Americanising influence.

So I suppose it's not accident that film-watching is something I associate with boyfriends - and why someone who is almost totally film deaf has almost exclusively had relationships with serious film buffs.

It's one of the few things I actually miss about having a boyfriend - having someone to actually make me watch films, and pick good ones to put in front of me. I mean, in most of the relationships I watch friends have, it's the men's job to provide the women with mixtapes. In most of my relationships, it's been the reverse - I'm such an insufferable music snob I'm far more likely to do the music selection. Yet choosing films is one of those jobs I'm happy, or even grateful, to rely on a boyfriend for.

Perhaps that's it, though. In my experience, most men like to be the experts in the house. They seem to actually find it vaguely diminishing if a woman knows more about something than they do. And trust me, I'm simply not the kind of person to keep it to myself if I have any kind of expertise or opinions on a subject. On film, however, I'm perfectly willing to accept and concede to someone else's greater knowledge. In fact, use that knowledge to heighten mine own enjoyment.

5 Comments:

Blogger Alexa said...

I can't join in on most of these conversations because I've just never seen the movies. I was prohibited from watching films when I was little if they had anything too scary, too sad, too violent, or, most importantly, if they involved guns. (Guns were the #1 taboo subject in chez Alexa). My parents keep asking me how come I haven't ever seen this film or that film - well, why do you think that is? Ha ha.

I do notice a lot of the production stuff now that I've started doing photography as a hobby (revelation, upon finally seeing my first Hitchcock last year, that something can be simultaneously a bad movie and a great film), but as soon as homages and references come into play, I am clueless.

I don't think I could survive (or allow to live ;D ) a partner who always wanted to know more than me about everything! I love turning people on to new fields of interest that they know nothing about. Someone who isn't open to that or would be offended by it, get outta my house!

6:05 pm  
Blogger Masonic Boom said...

Ha ha, perhaps I am being uncharitable - I suppose it's more that *I* am attracted to men who have knowledge or expertise - but it can't necessarily be expertise in music, because *I'm* the expert in that. You know, don't try to have an argument about music with me, because you will lose. Even if I'm wrong, you'll still lose, because I'm like that. Film, however, as an artform, is something I know so little about that I'm *willing* to be impressed by knowledge of it.

It's funny - my parents, too, being hippies, were far more willing to let me see stuff with sex rather than violence. (So long as it wasn't exploitative sex.) So I ended up seeing some stuff that was probably quite age inappropriate and o_0

It's weird, I can appreciate that film is an art on a level with great literature and paintings - I'm just not educated enough about it to recognise "a great film" the way that I have been cultured and developed my tastes enough to recognise a great novel or a great sculpture.

Which is too bad, seeing as that film is the artform in which so many of threads I do appreciate - imagery, narrative, music - have been combined.

6:23 pm  
Anonymous Alessandro Del Spool said...

Hi Masonic Boom,

Love the blog. Long time reader first time commenter. My main reason for contacting you is to ask a kind of technical question. I wondered if you use the term 'mine own' rather than 'my own' because it is grammatically correct or because it is a personal idiosyncrasy? I hope you don't mind me asking. It is an interesting stylistic quirk I have not come across elsewhere.

2:47 am  
Blogger Masonic Boom said...

Personal idiosyncrasy. It is actually an archaic form of "my own" - my/mine used to be a similar usage to a/an - using mine or an where the next word starts with a vowel. It hasn't been current usage in hundreds of years. I just like the way it sounds.

There was, years and years ago, an advert - I don't even remember what it was for - but it featured a small girl covered in chocolate icing and holding a very large slice of cake going "Look, mum, I made mine own breakfast!" and I just started saying that whenever I did anything wrong. The "mine own" bit just stuck.

10:43 am  
Blogger omhalck said...

Hi K8!

"But film?
I have a terrible confession to make. I am film deaf.
It's not that I don't enjoy films."

Haha. My Thing leading to the same Symptom is that if seeing a film is suggested to me (by others or by myself), I get all jittery at the *thought* of committing to a single focus for close to 2 hrs (but -- if I yield, I'm usually rapt from minute one, as with most things I start on). It feels easier (beforehand) to start to read, or listen to music, because that can be Stopped and Exchanged at (my) will. (Hmmm is this why I love Webern and have trouble with Mahler?)

"In my experience, most men like to be the experts in the house. They seem to actually find it vaguely diminishing if a woman knows more about something than they do."

This is absolutely true. But it is also true if the one who knows more is a man. And not necessarily in the house. "Vaguely diminishing" is too weak though, it is absolutely insufferable! ;-)

br,
anatol

8:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home